This describes of the benefit of using Automox for your patching and not using auto updates on the device.
Running auto updates is like taking your security policy and dividing it up among each of your employees; and hoping that they patch and maintain their individual systems. This is fine for individuals or very small companies (10 employees or less) but for larger companies Auto Updates is more of a liability than a solution.
What you DON’T GET with Auto Updates.
- Almost every software has an update feature, making the process of updating software a constant nuisance for the IT manager and the end user.
- There is no system (outside of Automox) that combines all of the OS and software updates into a single easy to manage dashboard.
- Auto Updates does not give IT a central / single location for reporting on inventory, patch level, configuration settings, or compliance status.
- Auto Updates provides no reporting or verification of device status, patches applied, or level of vulnerability.
- Auto Updates is inconsistent and unable to force the user to update / install critical security releases.