It is possible to arrange groups by department or geography, or whatever makes sense for your organization. You can use groups to form a test group. Patches can then run against this group for a specified period of time after which those same patches can be rolled to another group or into production automatically. Software can also be deployed by group.
You can learn about the following topics here:
- Viewing Groups
- Creating a Group
- Assigning Devices to a Group
- Removing Devices from a Group
- Viewing Devices Assigned to a Group
- Filtering Groups
You can view a list of all groups in your organization.
- From the System Management page, use the Filter Groups field to search for groups.
- Click the Unused Groups tile to toggle between all groups and the groups that are not in use.
Creating a Group
You can create a new group.
- From the System Management page, click Create Group.
- Enter a Name for your new Group. This field is required.
- To change the scan interval, click the Scan Interval drop-down menu. The default is 24 hours. The scan interval indicates how often Automox re-inventories a device for hardware, software, system information, and available patches.
- Add a note, if required.
- To choose the group structure, click the Parent Group drop-down menu and select from existing groups. Selecting anything other than Default creates a subgroup. Subgroups help to better distinguish different groups in the Automox console. There is no policy inheritance between a Parent Group and any Subgroups.
- For easier management, go to Choose Color and select a color to identify the new group.
- From the OS Patch Management section, select how you want to handle patching for the devices in this group.
- Click the plus icon to add devices to the group now, if desired. You can also add devices later.
- Click Create Group.
Assigning Devices to a Group
You can assign a device to a group.
NOTE: Administrative privileges required. The deployment tool or target device must have administrative privileges in order to successfully deploy and install the Automox Agent.
- From the System Management page, find the group you want to add a device to and click Edit Group.
- From the Devices area, click the plus icon to open the Assign Devices to Group dialog window.
- Select the check box next to the device you want to add to the group. Click Assign Devices to Group.
- Click Update Group.
Removing Devices from a Group
You can remove devices from a Group.
- From the System Management page, find the group you want to edit and click Edit Group.
- From the Devices area, find the device that you want to remove and click the x in the Remove column.
- Click Update Group.
- This device will automatically go into the “Default Group”.
Viewing Devices Assigned to a Group
You can view devices assigned to a group.
- From the System Management page, find the group you want to view details for and click Edit Group.
- The list of devices is available in the Devices area of the page.
You can use the search filter to view a list of groups from the Devices page and the System Management page.
- From the Devices page, go to the search field and enter Group. The list of groups automatically pre-populates with the existing group names. Scroll down to select the desired group.
- From the System Management page, enter the names into the Group search field to view the desired group.